The proposed objective, values; education, success and leadership. Supporting these values; the dance curriculum at the Garfield Institute of Music is committed to the professional development of not just the students in the program, but also all the educators in the arts leading to the development enhancement, and expansion of the arts education. During the study of Dance all students from a beginner level to an advanced level should:
- Exhibit an appreciation of dance
- Articulate orally and in written form historical, literary, and theoretical knowledge of dance forms & correct terminology
- Demonstrate well-rounded development in dance, including critical thinking skills, high level skills in performing arts, and enhanced creativity
Not everyone is meant or set out to be a prima ballerina, but knowing the basics will help in the future and it will demonstrate excellence and dedication when performing a different dance style with the basics of ballet.
Ballet is the foundation of all dance styles it will give the performer as well as the dance style they are implementing a dynamic look. It would allow the viewers and the instructor to notice how erect the body stays and the technical form of the performer.
Students should demonstrate an increasing vocabulary of ballet movement and technique reflective in their ability to coordinate simple movements and produce combinations of steps with qualitative movement, precision and control, within the range of their own physical capacity. Students should communicate an increasing confidence in performance as well as display sensitivity to musical content and style. Students should show an ability to work with others.
The requirements for the Garfield Institute of Music dance program is very simple; the performer will have to demonstrate and show proficiency in the following:
- Beginner, Intermediate, & Advanced level technique and fundamentals
- Ballet, Jazz & Modern dance styles
- Cardiovascular & flexibility Training Technique
We not only provide technical training in dance but we also offer two auxiliary dance troupes & one visual troupe; that performs and showcase their talent with the marching band, halftime shows, and other special events. The dance troupes are selected by audition only & will be provided a training process for the beginner and the highly trained. During the development of their natural skills and talents, each member will attend clinics, workshops, private classes, and rehearsals.
- The Beginner level dancers are the group that has little to no training, they will be training from scratch, with minimum performances and transitioned to advanced levels at the discretion of the director.
- The Intermediate level dance troupe is broken down into two groups, where these set of dancers are strictly training to perfect their skill set of dancing to reach the level of the advance dance troupe.
- The Advance level dance troupe is made up of 18 dancers who strive to be the best and take pride in their dancing, these set of dancers have met the requirements for dancing on an advance level still training like the rest. We train on a level where excellence, determination, and success is our main objective, but every dancer must march, jump higher, kick higher, dance harder, train harder, meaning every member of this dance line must be focused in every aspect of their life.